Obtaining recognition of your competencies acquired abroad
You are here: Home – Immigrating to Québec > Working in Québec > Obtaining recognition of your competencies acquired abroad
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Obtaining recognition of your competencies acquired abroad


The purpose of having your competencies recognized is to ensure that the training and work experience you acquired abroad will enable you to work in Québec.

Depending on the job you wish to hold, you can have your competencies recognized in three ways:

It is best to begin this process before you arrive in Québec and as soon as you receive one of the following documents:

  • Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec Selection Certificate)
  • Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
  • Work permit

Steps to follow

First, check to see if the profession you plan to hold is regulated in Québec, by visiting this website: Qualifications Québec (in French only).

If this is the case, you must have your competencies recognized by the regulatory organization that governs your profession or trade.

You will then have to follow the organization’s equivalency process.

This organization will determine if the knowledge and competencies related to your training and the diploma you obtained outside Québec are equivalent to those in Québec.

Several regulatory organizations may also require you to successfully complete:

  • refresher training
  • an internship
  • exams

If your occupation is not regulated in Québec, you can start your job search and have your competencies recognized directly by your future employer.

You can also choose to pursue your studies in order to obtain a Québec diploma. Some of the competencies you acquired abroad may be recognized, which will shorten the duration of your studies. To find out more, visit: have your skills recognized by an educational institution in Québec.



If you wish to immigrate to Québec, the process for obtaining recognition of your competencies does not replace the immigration process. You are responsible for obtaining the appropriate permit to stay in Québec, even if you come to Québec for an internship or studies that you could be asked to do in order to have your competencies recognized.


Comparative evaluation for studies done abroad

Regulatory organizations, employers and educational institutions may require a comparative evaluation for studies done abroad. This evaluation indicates the level of schooling and the area of training in Québec that corresponds to your studies abroad.  

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2020-09-03
Portail du gouvernement du Québec