Obtaining recognition of your competencies by an educational institution
You are here: Home – Immigrating to Québec > Working in Québec > Obtaining recognition of your competencies acquired abroad > Obtaining recognition of your competencies by an educational institution
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Obtaining recognition of your competencies by an educational institution


If you wish to begin a study program in Québec, keep in mind that the competencies you acquired abroad could shorten the duration of your studies. This means you could receive your diploma faster. However, it is not necessary to hold a Québec diploma to work in your area of expertise.

If you wish to have your competencies recognized by an educational institution in Québec, the portal for the recognition of competencies, Qualifications Québec (in French only), and its counsellors can direct you to a study program in an educational institution in any of Québec’s regions, based on your interests and your competencies.

Educational institutions recognized by the Québec government offer competency recognition services so that some of your studies and work experience abroad can be recognized.

The educational institution to contact depends on the diploma you are seeking:

  • secondary vocational
  • college (CEGEP)
  • university

Steps to follow for the RAC of secondary vocational or college studies

If you wish to enrol in secondary vocational or college studies, you may be able to take advantage of the Recognition of Acquired Competencies (RAC).

The RAC process helps to identify the competencies you have mastered and those that you must obtain in order to hold the job you are seeking in Québec.

This process offers many advantages:

  • It takes into consideration all the competencies acquired throughout your personal and professional life.
  • It offers diversified training methods that are adapted to your reality.
  • It allows you to reduce the time required to obtain an attestation or a diploma of college studies.

The RAC process varies according to the various regions of Québec and the studies you have completed.

Secondary vocational

When you begin your process, you can receive assistance from the Reception, Referral, Counselling and Support Services staff in school service centres.

For secondary vocational studies, the RAC process leads to one of the following:  

  • Diploma of Vocational Studies (DEP)


  • Attestation of Vocational Specialization (ASP)


  • Attestation of Vocational Studies (AEP) related to your competencies


First make sure that a RAC program is offered by the college in the your field of interest.

To find the right program, you can consult the Back to CEGEP website. It provides information on over 600 training programs offered in Québec’s 48 CEGEPs.

For college studies, the RAC process leads to one of the following:

  • Attestation of College Studies (AEC)


  • Diploma of College Studies (DEC)

Recognition of competencies for university studies

Most Québec universities have a competency recognition policy. Information is available on each university’s website, regarding:

  • study programs offered
  • study program regulations
  • student services

If you wish to obtain a Québec university diploma, you must:

  • be accepted into a program.
  • request recognition of the acquired competency for each course based on your previous education or work experience.

Contact the university you wish to attend for more information about the steps you must take.

To find the program you want, consult the list of Québec universities.

Comparative evaluation for studies done abroad

Educational institutions may ask for a comparative evaluation for studies done abroad as part of their competency recognition process.

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2020-06-22
Portail du gouvernement du Québec