Live-in caregiver – Caregiver Program
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Live-in caregiver – Caregiver Program

Since November 30, 2014, the federal government has made important changes to the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP), recently renamed Canada’s Caregiver Program. For more information on the program, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.


Due to these changes, it is no longer possible to use this program if you are abroad and wish to find a job in Québec as a caregiver. Instead, you will have to use the Temporary Foreign Worker Program – Low-wage positions and follow the procedure for a in-home caregiver.

However, if you have already been admitted to Canada under the previous Live-in Caregiver Program, you will maintain the same rights you acquired under this program. You can also extend your stay with the same employer or change employers if you respect all of the conditions of the program.


If you wish to change employers because you are being or have been treated unjustly or you were a victim of abuse, consult the IRCC Help Centre. You could be eligible to receive an open work permit for vulnerable workers, issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.



Attaining permanent residence

Important: The pathways “Caring for Children” and “Caring for People with High Medical Needs,” set up by the federal government to provide access to permanent residence, are not offered in Québec.

Live-in caregivers under the Live-in Caregiver Program

Attaining permanent residence in Québec, depending on the case, is based on the criteria of the Regular Skilled Worker Programs (RSWP), or based on the conditions of the Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ – Québec experience program).

If you are already part of the former live-in caregiver program, you can still apply for permanent residence under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) if:

You have acquired at least 2 years’ work experience during the last 4 years in the program and you meet one of the following requirements:

  • you are already working in Québec with a work permit issued under the LCP;
  • your first work permit under the LCP was approved following a request for a Labour Market Impact Assessment submitted no later than November 30, 2014, and jointly approved by the Ministère and Service Canada.



  • Note that in the case of the LCP, you must first complete specific procedures with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The IRCC initiates the permanent immigration process by sending your application to the Ministère on your behalf;
  • Upon receipt of the referral from the IRCC, the Ministère verifies that you were admitted under the LCP. If so, the Ministère will send you the necessary documents and ask you to complete the application for permanent selection. You must return the documents and payment of the required fees within a maximum timeframe of 60 days;
  • Upon receipt of all of the documents and payment of the required fees, the Ministère will open a file;
  • If the application is complete and compliant, the Ministère will review the application based on regulatory requirements and render a decision. If the decision is favourable, you will be issued a Certificat de sélection du Québec (Québec selection certificate).



Make sure to enclose all of the required documents before sending your application to the Direction de l'enregistrement et de l'évaluation comparative.



  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2020-02-26
Portail du gouvernement du Québec