After obtaining the CSQ
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

After obtaining the CSQ

Continuation of studies

The Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate) does not grant you status in Canada. If your current study program is not completed, you may continue it until obtaining your diploma as long as your Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ – Québec acceptance certificate) for studies and your study permit remain valid.

The CSQ application is part of a process of permanent immigration as a skilled worker. The CSQ was issued to you based specifically on your capacity and your intention to enter the Québec labour market upon completion of your study program. This assumes therefore that you will not start new full-time studies in the immediate future.

Work permit

If you successfully completed a full-time post-secondary study program with a minimum duration of eight months in an eligible Québec educational institution, you can apply for a post-graduation work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

The fact that you hold a CSQ or that you applied for one has no bearing on your eligibility for a post-graduation work permit.

On the contrary, you are strongly encouraged to apply for a post-graduation work permit while waiting for your permanent resident visa.

Individuals in the skilled worker class who hold a CSQ, who reside in Québec and whose application for permanent residence is currently being processed do not have to obtain a new CAQ before applying to prolong or renew their work permit. The employer is therefore exempt from the responsibility to provide a Labour Market Opinion (LMO).

To benefit from this waiver, your application for a work permit must be accompanied by a copy of your CSQ, your valid offer of employment and proof of payment of the application fees for permanent residence or acknowledgment of receipt.

CSQ holders who are eligible for the LMO waiver can be:

  • foreign students who obtain a post-diploma work permit and hold a valid job offer from a Québec employer;
  • temporary workers who wish to prolong the duration of their work permit for the job they currently hold or to renew it in order to hold a job offered by another Québec employer;
  • participants in one of the components of International Experience Canada (Working Holiday, Young Professionals, International Co-op) who hold a work permit and who wish to prolong the duration of their permit for the job they currently hold or to renew it in order to hold a job offered by another Québec employer.

Moreover, spouses or de facto spouses can obtain an open work permit for the employer and type of employment of their choice.

For more information, visit the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.


  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2016-03-11
Portail du gouvernement du Québec