Working during your studies
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Working during your studies

To obtain authorization to study in Québec, you must demonstrate your ability to pay applicable tuition fees as well as your living expenses, without having to work in Québec. Once in Québec, you may be allowed to work during your studies under certain conditions.

On-campus work and internships

As an international student, you can work on the campus of your educational institution as long as you have a study permit and continue your studies full-time. However, the number of jobs available on campus is limited, including research assistant and teaching assistant positions.

You may also work outside your educational institution if your job consists of a paid or unpaid internship that is an integral part of your Québec study program. In this case, you are generally required to obtain a work permit from the Canadian authorities.

To find out what conditions apply to these work situations, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Off-campus work

As of June 1, 2014, new rules allow some study permit holders to work off campus without having to obtain a work permit.

To find out what conditions apply, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.


Useful link

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-09-04
Portail du gouvernement du Québec