Temporary job after receiving the diploma
You are here: Home – Immigrating to Québec > Immigrate and settle in Québec > Foreign students > Extending your stay > Temporary job after receiving the diploma
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French in Québec or outside Québec

Holding a temporary job after receiving your diploma

After you have graduated from your program of study, you could be authorized to hold a job under certain conditions. However, you must first obtain a work permit. For up-to-date information, consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.


To hold a job after your studies in Québec, you must:

  • have successfully completed a recognized program of study
  • have studied full-time for at least eight months in a university, public college or publicly funded private college, or a recognized public or private vocational school 
  • have applied for a work permit within 90 days of receiving notice from your educational institution indicating that you have satisfied all the requirements for obtaining the diploma
  • have a valid study permit upon submission of your application for a work permit.


You are not eligible to apply under this program if you:

  • have already been issued a post-graduation work permit upon completing any other program of study in Canada or if you have participated in a Commonwealth of Canada scholarship program or Government of Canada awards program
  • receive funding from Global Affairs Canada
  • are registered in a distance learning program
  • have completed a vocational program that does not lead to a vocational diploma (DEP) or an attestation of vocational specialization (ASP) issued by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur.

Top of page

Useful link


If you have met all the required conditions, you may apply for a work permit to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). At this step, fees will be charged.

An open work permit could be issued to you for a maximum period of three years. However, the duration of the work permit cannot exceed that of the program of study you have just completed. Accordingly, for full-time programs of study, the maximum duration of a post-graduation work permit is as follows:

Duration of program of study
Maximum duration of work permit
Less than 8 months
You are not eligible for this program
8 months or more but less than 2 years
Same duration as that of program of study
2 years or more
Three years
  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-11-30
Portail du gouvernement du Québec