Authorizations to study in Québec
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Renewing your authorizations to study in Québec

Starting June 1, 2017, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will require a letter of admission from a designated learning institution, that is, an institution recognized by the government of Québec, in order to issue a study permit to individuals who have obtained a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ). Consult the Designated learning institutions list.

CAQ for studies

If your studies extend beyond the expiry date of your CAQ for studies or your level of studies changes, you will have to file a new application for a CAQ for studies.

It is suggested that you submit this application at least three months before your study permit expires. If you intend to travel outside of Canada around the time your student authorizations are about to expire, you should file your application for a CAQ and a study permit before you leave.

To file an application, choose one of the following options:

    • Complete an application on-line (with on-line payment using a credit card);
    • Complete a form available in PDF format;
    • Complete a printed form transmitted by your educational institution. Note that the use of a version of the printed form prior to 2011 could delay the processing of your application. If in doubt, please use the on-line or PDF form.
  • Enclose with your application all the required documents.
  • For minor children (under age 18) who will be pursuing their studies, you must provide the documents applicable to their situation.
  • Send your application to the Service aux étudiants étrangers, accompanied by all the required documents. You do not have to go to this office, unless you are requested to do so.

Top of page


You will have to produce up-to-date proof of your financial capacity to support your new application for a CAQ for studies, and have new declarations signed (financial support, parental authority, guardianship of a minor child), if your situation requires you to do so.  




Once your application has been accepted, two copies of the CAQ for studies will be mailed to you at the mailing address indicated on your application form.

If your application for a CAQ for studies is refused and you have good reason to believe that it should have been accepted, you do have recourse.

To apply for your study permit, send the copy of the CAQ for studies marked "Immigration Canada" to the Case Processing Centre at Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Vegreville, Alberta (or to the Canadian visa office that will examine your application for a study permit, where applicable).

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-07-17
Portail du gouvernement du Québec