Educational institution and program of study
You are here: Home – Immigrating to Québec > Immigrate and settle in Québec > Foreign students > Applying for admission > Educational institution and program of study
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Choosing an educational institution and a program of study

Since June 30, 2017, foreign students wishing to study in Québec in a training program of a duration of more than 6 months must be admitted to or enrolled in a designated learning institution, that is, an institution recognized by the Ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur or another Québec government ministry, in order to submit an application for temporary selection for studies, and a study permit from the federal government.

Before submitting your application, consult the list of designated learning institutions.

If the institution you have chosen is not on this list, it will not be possible for you to study there as a foreign student. Note that the Ministère does not refund processing fees for an application for temporary selection, even in the case of a refusal.

Before choosing a study program that corresponds to your academic level, you should consider several factors.

Where can you obtain information?

University institutions and programs
College institutions and programs
Primary and secondary schools and programs

University institutions and programs

There are over 10 Francophone universities in Québec, including those within the Université du Québec network, spread out across Québec, as well as specialized schools and institutes.

Consult the websites of these institutions to find out about their study programs and admission requirements.


Université du Québec network:


There are three Anglophone universities in Québec:


There are numerous agreements or student exchange programs that allow you to come to study in Québec for either one term or two consecutive terms, while remaining registered in your home university. To find out more, consult your home university’s international relations department or visit the website of the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire.  


Useful links

Top of page

College institutions and programs

The college education network comprises:

  • 48 public colleges (CEGEPs – collèges d’enseignement général et professionnel) under the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur.
  • 11 institutions under another ministry (e.g., music conservatories under the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications).
  • approximately 68 private institutions, some of which are government subsidized and two of which are governed by an international agreement.

For a list of college institutions as well as a list of the programs offered, visit the website of the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur.

Since the same program is often offered at several different CEGEPs, you need to find out where these institutions are located.  


Useful links

Top of page

Primary and secondary schools and programs

Primary and secondary education programs are offered through a network of 2,444 public schools (providing primary and secondary instruction), 199 vocational centres and 208 adult education centres. These institutions are incorporated within 69 school boards (60 francophone and nine anglophone) based on territorial divisions, and within three special-status school boards.

The choice of school is generally determined by the student’s place of residence.

There are also 277 private education institutions authorized to dispense preschool, primary and secondary instruction.

For a list of all secondary vocational education programs and their corresponding institutions, visit the Inforoute FPT website on vocational and technical training in Québec.


Under the Charte de la langue française (Charter of the French Language), all students must be educated in French until the end of their secondary studies. Students who are residing in Québec temporarily may, however, obtain a temporary authorization to receive instruction in English from the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur.  


Useful links

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-11-30
Portail du gouvernement du Québec