Procedure for the sponsored person
Official site of the Government of Québec
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French in Québec or outside Québec

Procedure for the sponsored person

As the sponsor (guarantor), you are responsible for completing most of the documents concerning the arrival of the sponsored person to Québec. However, certain steps are the sole responsibility of the person you are sponsoring.

Application for the Québec Selection Certificate

Thus, just before submitting your undertaking application to the Québec government, the person you are sponsoring must complete the Application for a Selection Certificate - Family Class and quickly return it to you, duly signed. You must enclose this form with your undertaking application.

If your undertaking application is accepted, a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ - Québec Selection Certificate) will be issued to the person you are sponsoring. The Ministère’s decision will be transmitted directly to the Canadian Visa Office for the sponsored person’s country. The person you are sponsoring will then submit his or her application for permanent residence.

Application for permanent residence

The final admission of candidates to Canadian territory falls under the jurisdiction of the Government of Canada.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada processes your sponsored person’s application for permanent residence. Your sponsored person and his or her family members (regardless of whether they are accompanying him or her) must satisfy the health and security requirements of the Government of Canada in order to be granted permanent residence.


For a sponsored person already residing in Québec: if the sponsored person’s application for permanent residence has not already been submitted, you could send it at the same time as your sponsorship application to the Canadian government. This policy applies only to applications submitted by sponsored spouses and common-law partners.  


Fees for applications for permanent residence

Fees are levied by the Government of Canada to process an application for permanent residence (visa).

A fee is also charged for the medical examination.


IMPORTANT : If the family situation of the sponsored person changes (birth, death, separation, etc.), you must immediately inform the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Useful link

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-07-17
Portail du gouvernement du Québec