You are here: Home – Immigrating to Québec > Where to settle? > Abitibi-Témiscamingue
Official site of the Government of Québec
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French in Québec or outside Québec

The Abitibi-Témiscamingue region at a glance

Territory and main cities
Economy and employment
Portrait of immigration
Services to immigrants offered by the Ministère
Resources and interesting links

Territory and main cities

Five hundred kilometres from Montréal and the Outaouais, Abitibi-Témiscamingue is located north of the Laurentides and Outaouais regions, south of the Nord-du-Québec, west of the Mauricie and Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean regions and east of the province of Ontario.

The region’s population of 145,000 resides in five territories known as regional county municipalities (or MRCs). The MRCs of Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d’Or are more urban, while Amos, La Sarre and Témiscamingue include both urban and rural settings. With an area of 65,878 km2 that boasts natural landscapes and some 20,000 lakes, Abitibi-Témiscamingue is an ideal place to enjoy a variety of sports as well as countless leisure and outdoor activities year-round. Living conditions in this region are comparable to those in small or medium-sized cities, with affordable housing for home-owners and tenants alike.

The Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue, which has satellite campuses in every MRC, has been welcoming foreign students for 20 years, primarily from France and the Maghreb as well as from several other African countries. The five territories are served by a solid education network that includes a college (Cégep de l'Abitibi Témiscamingue) in Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or, five francophone school boards and one anglophone school board.

Information on the territory and its subregions

Economy and employment

Abitibi-Témiscamingue is a resource-rich region where the economy and industry are rooted in natural resource development, namely forestry, mining (gold, silver, lead, copper, zinc) and agriculture. The region has been working hard to expand the secondary and tertiary processing of these raw materials in order to complement the exploitation of these resources. These sectors account for 30% of employment in the region, while the other 70% is attributed to the service, health and education sectors.

Information on the economy, employment, services and cultural life

Business start-up support

  • Portail du gouvernement du Québec sur les services aux entreprises
  • Société de développement du Témiscamingue
  • Portrait of immigration

    Many communities—from the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Haiti, Algeria, the United Kingdom, China, Peru, Romania, Portugal and Switzerland—are already represented in the region.

    Services to immigrants offered by the Ministère

    Resources and interesting links


    To learn more

    Contact the Centre de contacts clientèle or consult the directory of services offered by the Ministry’s partners.


      Haut de page
    Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
    Last modification : 2017-11-10
    Portail du gouvernement du Québec