College education
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

College education

In the Québec education system, colleges are the first level of higher education. To be eligible, you must hold a Secondary School Diploma (SSD) or a Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS).

The collège d’enseignment général et professionnel (CEGEP) and certain private colleges offer students a choice between:

  • pre-university studies that last two years and serve as a preparation for university;
  • technical studies that last three years and lead to employment as a technician or technologist. In some cases, technical studies can also lead to university.

Whatever their choice, students must take general education courses, some of which are common to both programs. The Diploma of College Studies (DCS) is awarded on completion of pre-university studies programs and technical studies programs.

In addition, there are specialized educational institutions, such as institutes and conservatories, that offer a wide variety of study programs: circus, music, agri-food technology, tourism and hotel management, fashion design, horticulture, etc.


Useful links

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-02-28
Portail du gouvernement du Québec