Temporary worker – High-wage position
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Temporary worker – High-wage position


  1. You must find an employer in Québec who wishes to hire you temporarily.

    The employer willing to hire you must take certain steps with Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration and Service Canada. Some jobs are exempt from the work permit and the Labour Market Impact Assessment.

  1. An employment contract is now required for all temporary workers. You and your employer are encouraged to use the standard contract.

  1. Ordinarily you need the Minister’s consent to stay in Québec for temporary work. You can verify whether you are exempt from the requirement to obtain such consent by completing a Temporary Selection Application.

    You must send your employer your Temporary Selection Application, which must include the following documents:

    - Temporary Selection Application form, duly completed and signed. Be sure to complete the section entitled Authorization given to employer to authorize your employer to represent you in your dealings with Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration.
    - Payment of the fees for the review of your Temporary Selection Application. Note that these fees can be paid by the employer.
    - The supporting documents required to process your Temporary Selection Application.

    If the documents are written in a language other than English or French, they must be translated into French by a translator who is officially recognized in your country of residence. These documents must bear the translator’s seal and signature.

    If the application submitted by your employer is accepted by Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration and Service Canada, you must apply for a work permit from the Government of Canada. For more information, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

    If applicable, you (and each member of your family) must meet the Government of Canada’s health and safety requirements for a work permit. When a medical examination is required, it must be performed by a physician designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, and fees are applicable.

Your spouse must also obtain certain authorizations if he or she wishes to work, take part-time courses or register for a French course. The same applies for your school-age children.  


Useful links


  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2019-09-05
Portail du gouvernement du Québec