Live-in caregiver – Extending your stay with the same employer
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Live-in caregiver – Extending your stay with the same employer

There are two ways to extend your stay with your employer:

  • You can decide not to live with your employer, with their consent. In this case, you will no longer be under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP). To extend your stay as an in-home caregiver, your employer must follow the hiring procedure for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program – Low-wage positions – In-home caregivers.
  • You can decide to continue to live with your employer. In this case, you will remain under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).

    This is the procedure you must follow with the governments of Québec and Canada:

  1. You must follow this procedure with the Government of Québec.

    – obtain a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ - Québec Acceptance Certificate) from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration. For this, you must obtain the following documents:

    – the letter from your employer confirming their intention to extend your employment as a caregiver. This letter must include the anticipated duration of the job and the proposed salary, and must be dated and signed;
    – the Application for Certificate of acceptance (CAQ) for temporary work (A-0506-CF), duly completed and signed by you, and accompanied by payment of the required fees for the review of your CAQ application;
    – a photocopy of your last income tax information slip (T-4);
    – a photocopy of your current work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
    – a new Live-in caregiver employment contract (A-0700-AF), and signed by you and each of your employers.

    – send these documents by mail to the Direction de l’encaissement et de l'évaluation comparative at least four months before expiry of your work permit.

    During the assessment of your application, you may be asked to go to the home of the person who will be receiving care.

    If the documents are written in a language other than French or English, they must be translated by a translator who is officially recognized in your country of residence. These documents must carry the translator’s seal and signature.

  1. You must then follow this procedure with the Government of Canada:

    submit an application for a work permit online or, in the event of a technical problem or a disability, by mail to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton, Alberta. For more information, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.


If you wish to change employers because you are being or have been treated unjustly or you were a victim of abuse, consult the IRCC Help Centre. You could be eligible to receive an open work permit for vulnerable workers, issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.




You can take advantage of the free and confidential assistance and consulting services of the Service d’interprète, d’aide et de référence aux immigrants for the duration of your participation in the Live-In Caregiver Program. In particular, you can obtain information and advice on how the program works, current laws and regulations, French courses and other integration activities.  


Useful links

Please read the document Les normes du travail au Québec et les domestiques travaillant chez l'employeur (2019) (PDF - in French only, 2,511 Kb) to find out about the provisions of Québec law that apply to you.

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2020-02-26
Portail du gouvernement du Québec