Live-in caregiver – Changing employers
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French in Québec or outside Québec

Live-in caregiver – Changing employers

You already have a work permit that you obtained under the Live-In Caregiver Program (LCP) and you would like to change employers? You can choose whether or not to live with your new employer.

Depending on your decision, you must follow the procedure that corresponds to your situation.

If you choose to live with your new employer, you will still be under the Live-In Caregiver Program and you must:  

  • make arrangements with your employer to reside in their home. Your new employer must follow certain steps with the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion and Service Canada.
  • obtain from your new employer a letter confirming the job offer and a copy of your Québec Acceptance Certificate, once the job offer has been confirmed by the Ministère and Service Canada.
  • submit an application for a work permit to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta. This application can be mailed or submitted online. For more information, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.


You can take advantage of the free and confidential assistance and consulting services of the Service d’interprète, d’aide et de référence aux immigrants for the duration of your participation in the Live-In Caregiver Program. In particular, you can obtain information and advice on how the program works, current laws and regulations, French courses and other integration activities.  


If you decide not to reside with your employer, you will no longer be under the Live-In Caregiver Program and your new employer must submit an application for a Labour Market Impact Assessment under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program – Low-wage positions – In-home Caregiver Program, in order to hire a homecare provider. If the application is accepted, you must submit a new application for a work permit under this program. For more information, consult the section Procedure for an in-home caregiver.

Live-in caregiver Changing employers due to abuse

If you want to change employers because you have been mistreated, consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Help Centre.


Useful links

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-05-11
Portail du gouvernement du Québec