Driver’s license
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Driver’s license

Driver's license

Temporary workers with a residence permit of less than six months may drive with a license from their country of provenance for the duration of their stay in Québec. However, if their licenses are written in a language other than French or English, it is preferable that they also have an international driver’s license.

The international driver's license is a translation into several languages, including French and English, of the vehicle classes that the holder of the license is authorized to drive. An international driver's license is not valid unless accompanied by a valid driver's license and issued by the same jurisdiction. 

Temporary workers who have a residence permit of six to twelve months must have a driver’s license from their country of provenance as well as an international driver’s license.

Car insurance

All car owners must have liability insurance for property damage to another party.

Useful links

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2016-03-11
Portail du gouvernement du Québec