Enrolling children in school or daycare
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Enrolling children in school or daycare

School enrolment

For a child to attend kindergarten, primary or secondary school, temporary workers must apply for admission with the school board serving their area.

They must fill out the form required and attach, in all cases, the child’s birth certificate bearing his or her sex and filiation as well as the name of his or her parents (failing this, any other official document bearing the child’s date of birth), the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ - Québec Acceptance Certificate) and the work permit (not required if the child is enrolled in a non-subsidized private English school).


Temporary foreign workers can choose the language of instruction and the educational institution of their children for the duration of their stay.  


Find out more about the steps to take to register your children in public or private school, college (CEGEP) or university. See the Education section for information about:

  • Québec’s education system
  • general information about admission to college and university
  • deadlines for submitting admission applications

Top of page

Daycare enrolment

In Québec, children of preschool age have access to a vast network of child care services. It is important to register your children as soon as possible since daycare spaces are limited, which could cause several months delay.


To learn more

Living in Québec - Education


Useful links

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-07-18
Portail du gouvernement du Québec