Application for a study permit
Official site of the Government of Québec
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French in Québec or abroad

Applying for a study permit

Study permits are issued by the Government of Canada, which charges fees for processing your application.

  • If you are already in Canada and this is your first application for a CAQ for studies, please find out from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada where your application for a study permit must be filed.
  • If you are an American citizen or a permanent resident of the United States, if you are a Danish citizen who resides in Greenland or a French citizen who resides in Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, you can obtain your study permit from the Government of Canada on your arrival at your point of entry.
  • In all other cases, you must apply to the Canadian Visa Office covering the country where you currently reside. If required, you will also have to obtain a temporary resident visa.

It is also possible to submit your application for a study permit online.

The office handling your application may request any document necessary to examine your file, such as documents to evaluate your financial self-sufficiency.


Residents of certain countries must undergo a medical examination to obtain a study permit. If this is your situation, the Government of Canada will inform you and send you a list of doctors you can consult for this purpose. You can not anticipate the medical examination. Please wait for the Government of Canada to send you the appropriate form.  


Useful link

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2016-11-10
Portail du gouvernement du Québec