Obtaining the necessary authorizations to study in Québec
You are here: Home – Immigrating to Québec > Immigrate and settle in Québec > Foreign students > Obtaining the necessary authorizations to study in Québec
Official site of the Government of Québec
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French in Québec or abroad

Obtaining the necessary authorizations to study in Québec

Starting June 1, 2017, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will require a letter of admission from a designated learning institution, that is, an institution recognized by the government of Québec, in order to issue a study permit to individuals who have obtained a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ). Consult the Designated learning institutions list.

Once you have received your letter of admission from a Québec educational institution, you need to obtain:

  • a CAQ, issued by the Gouvernement du Québec (Government of Québec)
  • a study permit, issued by the Government of Canada.

This applies whether you are pursuing primary, secondary, college-level or university studies, adult education or any other type of training program.



The time required for processing an application for a study permit may vary from one Canadian visa office to another. It may also depend on whether or not you need to undergo a medical examination.

3 important steps

As soon as you receive your letter of admission from the educational institution, you should take the following three steps:

  1. Making sure you are familiar with the requirements for staying in Québec as a foreign student.

  2. Applying for an Acceptance Certificate for studies.

  3. Applying for a study permit.

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2017-05-01
Portail du gouvernement du Québec