Application for an Acceptance Certificate for studies
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French in Québec or outside Québec

Applying for an Acceptance Certificate for studies

Effective June 30, 2017, foreign students wishing to study in Québec in a training program of a duration of more than 6 months must be admitted to or enrolled in a designated learning institution, that is, an institution recognized by the Ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur or another Québec government ministry, in order to obtain a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), and a study permit from the federal government.

Before submitting your application, Consult the Designated learning institutions list.

If the institution you have chosen is not on this list, it will not be possible for you to study there as a foreign student. Note that the Ministère does not refund processing fees for a CAQ, even in the case of a refusal.

  • To apply, choose one of the following options:

    • Complete an online application (with online payment using a credit card);
    • Complete a form available in dynamic or static PDF format.
  • Enclose the required fees if you are using a PDF or printed form rather than the online application.


N.B.: By law, the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion cannot release personal information pertaining to you to anyone without your authorization.

To authorize an individual to obtain information regarding your Application for a CAQ for studies, or to designate a person to represent you, you must complete and sign the appropriate authorization in the Application for a CAQ for studies.


  • Send your complete file to the Service aux étudiants étrangers in Montréal.

    If you meet the prerequisites, a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies will be issued in your name. The CAQ is generally valid for the duration of your study program up to a maximum of 49 months.

    If your application is refused, you have the possibility of submitting a request for an administrative review.

    NOTE: If you obtain a CAQ for studies for the fall semester and you postpone your arrival by one semester, you do not have to submit a new application for a CAQ for studies. For any other postponement, you must submit a new application for a CAQ for studies.

Top of page




To find out how to renew your authorizations, proceed to Step 6 – Renewing your authorizations to study in Québec.  

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2018-07-17
Portail du gouvernement du Québec