Financial capacity
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Financial capacity

To obtain a CAQ for studies, you must demonstrate that you have the necessary resources to cover tuition fees, transportation expenses (return ticket to your country of origin), settling-in expenses in the first year (C$500), and annual living expenses for the duration of your stay.

For 2014, these expenses are estimated at:


For one person under age 18 C$5,914
For one person age 18 or older C$11,825
For two persons age 18 or older C$17,342
For one person over age 18 and one under age 18 C$15,891
For two persons over age 18 and one under age 18 C$19,427
For two persons over age 18 and two under age 18 C$20,967

These fees are indexed every year on January 1st and do not include tuition fees.


The financial capacity you need to demonstrate must include the cost of health and hospitalization insurance for you and the members of your family accompanying you. This does not apply to persons who are covered by a reciprocity agreement on healthcare with Québec, namely:

  • all students from Finland and Sweden and their dependents
  • college and university students from Denmark, Norway, Luxembourg and Portugal and their dependents
  • insured students of French nationality attending a college or university in Québec and their dependents.

These individuals are covered by the Quebec health and hospitalization insurance plan and are not required to pay a premium if they provide the following information.

Proof of financial capacity

Originals or copies of the documents requested below must be enclosed with your CAQ application, depending on your situation:

  • proof of funds transfer or any other item indicating your assets and sources of income
  • authorization for funds transfer from the currency exchange control office of your country of origin or residence (if your country limits fund transfers)
  • official confirmation of the award of scholarships or bursaries indicating monthly and annual amounts to be received
  • pay slips, income tax return, bank letter(s) (PDF, 36 Kb) indicating current balance, etc.
  • bank statement for the last three months with current balance
  • up-to-date bank book and proof of ownership of the book.

The documents you enclose must be recent and allow determination of the financial resources you have available to study in Québec.


N.B.: If you are age 18 or over and the expenses related to your stay in Québec in order to study are undertaken by another person (your father, mother or a third party), you must enclose the following documents:

- the original or a copy of the duly signed Declaration of financial support (PDF, 48 Kb) (model provided or blank sheet of paper)
- the originals or copies of detailed proof of this person’s financial capacity (employment letter indicating this person’s salary, pay slips, income tax return, bank letter(s) (PDF, 53 Kb) indicating account balance, etc.).


For minor children (under age 18) who are staying in Québec to study, refer to the section minor children.

Useful link

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2016-03-11
Portail du gouvernement du Québec