Bringing your spouse or children to Québec
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Bringing your spouse or children to Québec

If you immigrated to Québec as a refugee or protected person and your family members were unable to accompany you due to circumstances beyond your control, you may have recourse to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s one-year window provision to allow them to join you.

The people you can bring over under this provision are:


The conditions for submitting an application are:

  • You must have been in Québec for less than one year and have been admitted as a refugee (under the responsibility of the State or a sponsor) or a protected person; 
  • You must have already included the names of the people you wish to bring over in your Application for Permanent Residence in Canada (IMM 0008).


Refugees in Québec and protected persons whose spouse, de facto spouse or dependent children abroad do not meet the conditions of the provision can consider other solutions, such as sponsorship under the Family reunification section.


To submit an application

  1. You must complete the Demande pour faire venir au Québec les membres de la famille restés à l’étranger (Programme Délai prescrit d’un an pour personnes réfugiées ou à protéger) [application to bring family members who are still abroad to Québec (one-year window provision for refugees or protected persons)] in order to start the process with the governments of Canada and Québec.
  2. Enclose a photocopy of both sides of your permanent resident card or the first page of your confirmation of permanent residence.

  1. Send your application along with all required documents by mail to the following address:
    Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
    Direction de l’Immigration familiale et humanitaire
    285, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, 4e étage
    Montréal (Québec)  H2Y 1T8


The Ministère will send you confirmation of receipt indicating your file number and will forward your application to the Canada Visa Office responsible for processing applications for the territory where your family members reside. The visa office will contact your family members in order to review their application under the one-year window provision.

It will take the visa office several months to process your application, so please do not contact the Ministère to follow up with the visa office before a period of at least six months has elapsed since the submission of your application.

However, you must inform us of any change in your address or that of a family member abroad. You can send this information in writing to the above-mentioned address, indicating your file number, or by contacting the Ministère’s Centre de contacts clientèle (Information Service).

Persons deemed eligible by the visa office will obtain their permanent residence visa prior to their departure, and their Québec selection certificate upon arrival in Québec.

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2019-09-05
Portail du gouvernement du Québec