Sponsorship application
Printable version
Immigrate and settle in QuébecWorking in QuébecLiving in QuébecWhere to settle?Learning French

Sponsorship application

The sponsorship application is the starting point of the process. It is submitted to the Government of Canada (specifically Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada – IRCC). IRCC determines who can act as a sponsor, who can be sponsored and when a sponsor’s financial capacity must be taken into account.


To apply to sponsor someone, you must send the following to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada:

If IRCC finds your sponsorship application is eligible, you will be invited to continue the process by submitting an undertaking application to Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI).

Don’t wait for IRCC to contact you. Prepare your undertaking application in advance, including the application for the sponsored person’s selection certificate and all the required documents, so that you are ready to send it to MIFI as soon as you receive an invitation from IRCC to continue the process.



If you are abroad when you submit your application, contact the Canadian Embassy covering your territory. This procedure, however, is restricted to the sponsorship of a spouse, de facto spouse, or conjugal partner or to a dependent child, if he or she has no children.

If you wish to sponsor your spouse or de facto spouse and he or she is already in Canada, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada about sponsorship arrangements.


Useful links

  Haut de page
Policy on privacy | Médias sociaux | Déclaration de services à la clientèle | Accès à l'information | Accessibility
Last modification : 2019-09-05
Portail du gouvernement du Québec